Re: [apparmor] use per-cpu refcounts for apparmor labels?

From: Mateusz Guzik
Date: Tue Sep 26 2023 - 02:39:10 EST

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:21:26PM -0700, John Johansen wrote:
> On 9/25/23 16:49, Vinicius Costa Gomes wrote:
> > Hi Mateusz,
> >
> > Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > I'm sanity-checking perf in various microbenchmarks and I found
> > > apparmor to be the main bottleneck in some of them.
> > >
> > > For example: will-it-scale open1_processes -t 16, top of the profile:
> > > 20.17% [kernel] [k] apparmor_file_alloc_security
> > > 20.08% [kernel] [k] apparmor_file_open
> > > 20.05% [kernel] [k] apparmor_file_free_security
> > > 18.39% [kernel] [k] apparmor_current_getsecid_subj
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > This serializes on refing/unrefing apparmor objs, sounds like a great
> > > candidate for per-cpu refcounting instead (I'm assuming they are
> > > expected to be long-lived).
> > >
> > > I would hack it up myself, but I failed to find a clear spot to switch
> > > back from per-cpu to centalized operation and don't want to put
> > > serious effort into it.
> > >
> > > Can you sort this out?
> >

> I will add looking into it on the todo list. Its going to have to come
> after some other major cleanups land, and I am not sure we can make
> the semantic work well for some of these. For other we might get away
> with switching to a critical section like Vinicius's patch has done
> for apparmor_current_getsecid_subj.

Is there an eta?

I looked at dodging ref round trips myself, but then found that ref
manipulation in apparmor_file_alloc_security and the free counterpart
cannot be avoided. Thus per-cpu refs instead.

Perhaps making the label as stale would be a good enough switching
point? Is it *guaranteed* to get labelled as stale before it gets freed?

btw, __aa_proxy_redirect open-codes setting the flag.