Re: [RFC] selftests: Add dependencies information for kselftest

From: Juntong Deng
Date: Mon Sep 25 2023 - 13:14:42 EST

On 2023/9/25 19:24, Ricardo B. Marliere wrote:
On 23/09/25 06:25PM, Juntong Deng wrote:
Most of the tests in kselftest rely on external tools and libraries
to run, which means that in order to run the tests effectively we need
to have all the dependencies installed first.

But unfortunately, there is currently no way to know in advance what
tools and libraries the tests in kselftest depend on, and can only be
known when a test run fails.

Hello Juntong,

did you check if tools/testing/selftests/kselftest_deps.sh does what
you're after? It won't tell you what packages are missing because it's
distro-independent, but it tells you what libs your system is missing.

e.g.

(...)
Targets failed build dependency check on system: alsa bpf cachestat
capabilities clone3 filesystems fpu futex hid intel_pstate kvm landlock
membarrier memfd mm mqueue net netfilter powerpc ptp rseq rtc safesetid
sched seccomp timens timers user_events vDSO
-------------------------------------------------------- Missing
libraries system -lasound -lcap -lcap-ng -lcrypto -ldl -lelf -lfuse
-lgcc_s -lm -lmnl -lnuma -lpopt -lpthread -lrt -lz -pthread

Regards,
- Ricardo

Hi Ricardo, thanks for your reply.

I checked kselftest_deps.sh and it does find all missing
library dependencies.

But kselftest_deps.sh cannot find missing tool dependencies,
such as ndisc6.

I think we still need to find a way to solve this problem.

Best wishes.

Juntong Deng