Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2023-09-24]

From: Genes Lists
Date: Mon Sep 25 2023 - 07:04:44 EST

On 9/25/23 05:11, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
On 25.09.23 10:02, Greg KH wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 04:17:40PM +0000, Regzbot (on behalf of Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
(2) Nearly six weeks ago there was a report that 101bd907b4244a ("misc:
rtsx: judge ASPM Mode to set PETXCFG Reg") [v6.5-rc6, v6.4.11, v6.1.46,
v5.15.127] broke booting various laptops (many or all of them are Dell).
This apparently plagues quite a few users, hence there were multiple
reports (see [2] for those I'm aware of). At least Fedora, openSUSE, and
nixOS have meanwhile reverted the change in their latest stable kernels
[3]. I one and a half week proposed to revert the culprit when I fully
noticed it's impact, but Greg wanted to give the developers more time.
We finally have a fix in sight now [5]; someone affected replied that it
helps. Not sure what's the right way forward now. But overall this to me
feels a lot like "this is not how a regression should be handled".
That's why I wanted to bring it up here in case to ensure your are aware
of this.

We now have confirmed testing that the proposed fix resolves the issue
so I'll be getting it to Linus in time for the next -rc.

Many thx!

Thank you all for taking care of this - much appreciated.

gene