Re: [RFC v3 0/2] CPU-Idle latency selftest framework

From: Aboorva Devarajan
Date: Mon Sep 25 2023 - 01:07:06 EST

On Mon, 2023-09-11 at 11:06 +0530, Aboorva Devarajan wrote:

CC'ing CPUidle lists and maintainers,

Patch Summary:

The patchset introduces a kernel module and userspace driver designed
for estimating the wakeup latency experienced when waking up from
various CPU idle states. It primarily measures latencies related to two
types of events: Inter-Processor Interrupts (IPIs) and Timers.

Background:

Initially, these patches were introduced as a generic self-test.
However, it was later discovered that Intel platforms incorporate
timer-based wakeup optimizations. These optimizations allow CPUs to
perform a pre-wakeup, which limits the effectiveness of latency
observation in certain scenarios because it only measures the optimized
wakeup latency [1].

Therefore, in this RFC, the self-test is specifically integrated into
PowerPC, as it has been tested and used in PowerPC so far.

Another proposal is to introduce these patches as a generic cpuilde IPI
and timer wake-up test. While this method may not give us an exact
measurement of latency variations at the hardware level, it can still
help us assess this metric from a software observability standpoint.

Looking forward to hearing what you think and any suggestions you may
have regarding this. Thanks.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/20200914174625.GB25628@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#m5c004b9b1a918f669e91b3d0f33e2e3500923234