Re: [RFC] ata: libata: increase PMP SRST timeout to 10s

From: Damien Le Moal
Date: Fri Sep 22 2023 - 16:05:54 EST

On 2023/09/22 12:41, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
>>> Even with the latest series applied, I still need my
>>> ATA_TMOUT_PMP_SRST_WAIT change to avoid the "softreset failed (1st FIS
>>> failed)" message (and get "softreset failed (device not ready)" instead).
>>
>> OK. Thank you for testing.
>> For increasing the timeout, please send a proper patch. I will queue it.
>>

> Will do. Do you see any downsides to the increased timeout? Otherwise, I'd
> simply add a Fixes: tag for the last time the timeout was touched in
> e7d3ef13d52a126438f687a1a32da65ff926ed57.

No, I do not see any downside. Most drives do not need such long timeout for
replying to a reset, so it should not be an issue. Increasing to 10s should be
OK. But please be sure to mention in the commit message the adapter and drive
you have that need this, so that we keep a trace of it.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research