Re: [v4 0/4] mm: hugetlb: Skip initialization of gigantic tail struct pages if freed by HVO

From: Pasha Tatashin
Date: Fri Sep 22 2023 - 10:43:26 EST

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 7:26 AM Usama Arif <usama.arif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This series moves the boot time initialization of tail struct pages of a
> gigantic page to later on in the boot. Only the
> HUGETLB_VMEMMAP_RESERVE_SIZE / sizeof(struct page) - 1 tail struct pages
> are initialized at the start. If HVO is successful, then no more tail struct
> pages need to be initialized. For a 1G hugepage, this series avoid
> initialization of 262144 - 63 = 262081 struct pages per hugepage.
>
> When tested on a 512G system (which can allocate max 500 1G hugepages), the
> kexec-boot time with HVO and DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT enabled without this
> patchseries to running init is 3.9 seconds. With this patch it is 1.2 seconds.
> This represents an approximately 70% reduction in boot time and will
> significantly reduce server downtime when using a large number of
> gigantic pages.

My use case is different, but this patch series benefits it. I have a
virtual machines with a large number of hugetlb pages. The RSS size of
the VM after boot is much smaller with this series:

Before: 9G
After: 600M

The VM has 500 1G pages, and 512G total RAM. I would add this to the
description, that this series can help reduce the VM overhead and boot
performance for those who are using hugetlb pages in the VMs.

Also, DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT is a requirement for this series to
work, and should be added into documentation.

Pasha