Re: My brand new vivo V25 Pro 5G Android mobile phone is running on Linux kernel 4.19.191+

From: Bagas Sanjaya
Date: Thu Sep 21 2023 - 20:51:44 EST

[trimming personal and obvious *political* info]

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 04:20:06PM +0000, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> My brand new vivo V25 Pro 5G Android mobile phone is running on Linux kernel 4.19.191+. Are there any severe/critical security vulnerabilities in Linux kernel 4.19.191+ that will allow government-sponsored or state-backed hackers or Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) to take over absolute control of my brand new vivo mobile phone? Can I download, compile and install the latest Linux kernel 6.5.4 from sources on my brand new vivo mobile phone by myself? I would like to know how I can do it.

There are Android Security Bulletin listings on [1], with vivo-specific
bulletins can be found at [2].

For building kernels, you can follow official Android guide [3]. Or
you can also visit XDA forums [4] where people posted their own custom
kernels. But usually your vendor (vivo) takes care of kernel updates
anyway.

> I have decided to buy this vivo mobile phone because my Samsung Galaxy A32 5G mobile phone has now become extremely slow in performance and lags like hell. Maybe too many apps were installed.

What are these apps besides built-in ones?

> Opening and using apps is now a slow and painful experience. The phone camera is even worse. Taking a photo or selfie takes 2-3 seconds. If you move the phone by a bit before the 3 seconds is up, your photo or selfie will turn out very blur. So you need to set a timer of 2 seconds when you take a selfie or photo. Taking videos with the phone camera is also very laggy and choppy. The recorded video will turn out to be choppy.

What is your Samsung phone specification then?

Thanks.

[1]: https://source.android.com/docs/security/bulletin/asb-overview
[2]: https://www.vivo.com/en/security
[3]: https://source.android.com/docs/setup/build/building-kernels
[4]: https://forum.xda-developers.com

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara