Re: [RFC] Should writes to /dev/urandom immediately affect reads?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Sep 20 2023 - 16:41:47 EST

On Wed, 20 Sept 2023 at 13:32, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It was why I also asked about entropy. Because *if* you argue that the
> user-space write contains entropy, then that would be a reason.

To clarify - the jitter entropy question was related to that same
basic issue: if this was meant to be a way to mitigate the lack of
jitter entropy on some platform you care about, that would again
possibly be a reason to care.

Considering that we apparently haven't cared for the last 7 years, I'm
still a bit surprised, but whatever.

What I *don't* want is just more voodoo discussions about /dev/*random
behavior that doesn't have a technical reason for it.

Linus