Re: [RFC] Should writes to /dev/urandom immediately affect reads?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Sep 20 2023 - 15:43:17 EST

On Wed, 20 Sept 2023 at 12:32, Eric Biggers <ebiggers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Also, are there any relevant architectures where
> > "try_to_generate_entropy()" doesn't work? IOW, why do you even care?
> >

> There are, as shown by the fact that the full unification of /dev/urandom and
> /dev/random failed yet again.

No, no. That only showed that such architectures exist. It didn't show
that any *relevant* architectures exist.

The ones reported on were 32-bit arm, m68k, microblaze, sparc32,
xtensa.. Maybe others.

> But similarly, that's unrelated.

They are related in the sense fo "why do you actually *care*?"

Because I don't see why any of this actually matters.

Linus