Re: [GIT PULL] timestamp fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 18 2023 - 14:24:51 EST

On Mon, 18 Sept 2023 at 04:54, Christian Brauner <brauner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Only update the atime if "now" is later than the current value. This
> can happen when the atime gets updated with a fine-grained timestamp
> and then later gets updated using a coarse-grained timestamp.

I pulled this, and then I unpulled it again.

I think this is fundamentally wrong.

If somebody has set the time into the future (for whatever reason -
maybe the clocks were wrong at some point), afaik accessing a file
should reset it, and very much used to do that.

Am I missing something? Because this really seems *horribly* broken garbage.

Any "go from fine-grained back to coarse-grained" situation needs to
explicitly test *that* case.

Not some kind of completely broken "don't update to past value" like this.

Linus