Re: [GIT PULL] KVM: x86: Misc changes for 6.6

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Thu Aug 31 2023 - 14:27:09 EST

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> This is definitely stuff that I wish I took a look for earlier (and
> this is also why I prefer small bits over the development period, as
> it keeps me honest),

I'll work on making this happen. I think the biggest thing on my end is to make
it easier to track/merge arbitrary topic branches, e.g. so that I can put big
series into their own branches with minimal risk of forgetting to merge them into
kvm-x86/next.

> I'll take a look but I've pulled it anyway.

FWIW, I despise the "goverened features" name, though I like the guest_can_use()
name.

> BTW, not using filemap turned out to be much bigger, and to some
> extent uglier, than I expected. I'll send a message to the private mem
> thread, but I think we should not pursue that for now and do it in a
> separate patch series (if at all) so that it's clearer what filemap_*
> code is being replaced by custom code.

Bummer, I was hoping we could avoid having to touch mm/ code.