Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull IOMMUFD subsystem changes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 30 2023 - 23:59:41 EST

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 at 16:40, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This includes a shared branch with VFIO:
>
> - Enhance VFIO_DEVICE_GET_PCI_HOT_RESET_INFO so it can work with iommufd
> FDs, not just group FDs. [...]

So because I had pulled the vfio changes independently with their own
merge message, I ended up editing out all the commentary you had about
the vfio side of the changes.

Which is kind of sad, since you arguably put some more information and
effort into it than Alex had done in his vfio pull request. But the
vfio parts just weren't part of the merge any more.

I did put a link to your pull request in the commit, so people can
find this info, but I thought I'd mention how I ruthlessly edited down
the merge commit message to just the parts that were new to the merge.

I appreciate the extra background, even if I then decided that by the
time I merged your part, some of it was "old news" and not actually
about what I merged when I pulled your branch.

.. and if I had realized when I merged the vfio parts, I probably
could have added your commentary to that merge. Oh well.

Linus