Re: [GIT PULL] pstore updates for v6.6-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 29 2023 - 14:04:52 EST

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 at 10:29, Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is an oversight on my part. The diff below plugs this into the pstore code

Hmm. My reaction is that you should also add the comment about the
"Work around a bug in zlib" issue, because this code makes no sense
otherwise.

Of course, potentially even better would be to actually move this fix
into our copy of zlib. Does the bug / misfeature still exist in
upstream zlib?

Also, grepping around a bit, I note that btrfs, for example, just does
that Z_SYNC_FLUSH, and then checks for Z_OK. None of this Z_STREAM_END
stuff.

Similarly, going off to the debian code search, I find other code that
just accepts either Z_OK or Z_STREAM_END.

So what's so magical about how pstore uses zlib? This is just very odd.

Linus