Re: [GIT PULL] pstore updates for v6.6-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 29 2023 - 13:14:48 EST

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 at 20:44, Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 06:44:02PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > The only thing that is new is the kernel pstore implementation. Why
> > was this not a problem before? The warning existed back then too, but
> > I never actually got it.
>
> Right -- if the compression method from before was different, it'll fail
> now. (i.e. we removed everything but zlib.)

I don't think that was the case.

Looking back in my logs, I see lines like this:

Aug 07 16:59:29 ryzen kernel: pstore: Using crash dump compression: deflate

and while it appears F37 used to support other formats, it does have

CONFIG_PSTORE_DEFLATE_COMPRESS_DEFAULT=y

so it should all be zlib-compatible from what I can tell.

Linus