Re: truncation in drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c

From: Helge Deller
Date: Tue Aug 29 2023 - 13:12:44 EST

On 8/29/23 18:45, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
Helge,
A recent change in clang made it better about spotting snprintf that
will result in truncation. Nathan reported the following instances:

drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1959:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
17 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1963:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
18 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1967:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
17 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1971:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
17 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1978:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
18 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1985:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
17 [-Wfortify-source]
drivers/video/fbdev/neofb.c:1992:3: warning: 'snprintf' will always be
truncated; specified size is 16, but format string expands to at least
18 [-Wfortify-source]

https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues/1923

Clang is right here. `info->fix.id` is declared as `char id[16];` so
indeed string literals like "MagicGraph 256AV+" indeed lead to
truncation. But this is declared in include/uapi/linux/fb.h; I assume
those headers cant be changed? Can the strings be shortened then? Is
it perhaps time to delete this driver?

I see AKPM mentioned alluded to this in
commit 0e90454 ("neofb: avoid overwriting fb_info fields")

(Also, snprintf probably isn't necessary for string literals that
don't contain format strings)

It's just an ID field, so I don't think we need the full name of the card.
So using strscpy() and shorten the name, e.g. "MagicGr. 256XL+"
instead of "MagicGraph 256XL+" is probably the most simple solution?

Anyone want to send a patch?

Helge