Re: Cache coherency bug: stale reads on /dev/sda1

From: Joshua Hudson
Date: Sat Aug 26 2023 - 22:39:45 EST

"Whole disk and all partitions have page caches of their own."

That's so bad.

I can think of numerous cases where this will cause problems; including
some I encountered last year and did not understand at the time. Manipulating
EFI partitions through the whole disk device makes sense because FAT filesystems
*know their offset on the disk*, and some of the existing tools really
don't like being
given a partition device.

There's also the astounding: write stuff to disk, umount everything,
copy one disk to
another using the whole disk device doesn't work because reading the whole disk
yields a stale cache (sometimes).

On the other hand, I can think of very few cases where the file vs
disk buffer pool
matters, because the loop device is unaffected (writing to a loop
block device is
coherent with the file).