Re: [net-next Patch 4/5] octeontx2-af: replace generic error codes

From: Hariprasad Kelam
Date: Sun Aug 20 2023 - 01:57:59 EST

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 16:53:56 +0530 Hariprasad Kelam wrote:
> > currently, if any netdev is not mapped to the MAC block(cgx/rpm)
> > requests MAC feature, AF driver returns a generic error like -EPERM.
> > This patch replaces generic error codes with driver-specific error
> > codes for better debugging
>
> The custom error codes are not liked upstream, they make much harder for
> people who don't work on the driver to refactor it.
>
> If you want debugging isn't it better to add a tracepoint to the checks?

Hari>> These error codes are added in AF mailbox handlers, user space tools like ethool ,tc won't see these since these are between pf netdev and AF. During netdev driver probe/open calls, it requests AF driver to configure different hardware blocks MAC/network etc. If there is any error instead of getting EPERM, we will get block specific error codes like LMAC_AF_ERR_INVALID_PARAM, NIX_AF_ERR_PARAM etc.

Thanks,
Hariprasad k