Re: dwc3: unusual handling of setup requests with wLength == 0

From: Thinh Nguyen
Date: Thu Aug 17 2023 - 23:12:05 EST

On Thu, Aug 17, 2023, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 01:08:19AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2023, Andrey Konovalov wrote:
> > > Hi Alan and Thinh,
> > >
> > > I have been testing Raw Gadget with the dwc3 UDC driver and stumbled
> > > upon an issue related to how dwc3 handles setup requests with wLength
> > > == 0.
> > >
> > > When running a simple Raw Gadget-based keyboard emulator [1],
> > > everything works as expected until the point when the host sends a
> > > SET_CONFIGURATION request, which has wLength == 0.
> > >
> > > For setup requests with wLength != 0, just like the other UDC drivers
> > > I tested, dwc3 calls the gadget driver's ->setup() callback and then
> > > waits until the gadget driver queues an URB to EP0 as a response.
> >
> > For the lack of better term, can we use "request" or "usb_request"
> > instead of URB for gadget side, I get confused with the host side
> > whenever we mention URB.
> >

> > > However, for a setup request with wLength == 0, dwc3 does not wait
> > > until the gadget driver queues an URB to ack the transfer. It appears
> > > that dwc3 just acks the request internally and then proceeds with
> > > calling the ->setup() callback for the next request received from the
> >
> > It depends on the bRequest. It should not proceed to ->setup() unless
> > the gadget driver already setups the request for it.
>
> Let's see if I understand what you're saying. Some control transfers
> are handled directly by the UDC driver (things like SET_ADDRESS or
> CLEAR_HALT). For these transfers, the ->setup() callback is not invoked
> and the gadget driver is completely unaware of them. But for all other
> control transfers, the ->setup() callback _is_ invoked.
>
> Is that what you meant?

That's not what I meant.

I was referring to the next request. It should not be processed until
the first request is completed. Depending on the type of request, if
there's a delayed_status, the dwc3 driver will not prepare for the
Status stage and Setup stage (after status completion) to proceed to the
_next_ ->setup callback.

My understanding from the described problem is that somehow dwc3
processes the next request immediately without waiting for the raw
gadget preparing the data stage.

> > > host. This confuses Raw Gadget, as it does not expect to get a new
> > > ->setup() call before it explicitly acks the previous one by queuing
> > > an URB. As a result, the emulation fails.
> >
> > If the host intent is to send a 3-stage control request with a 0-length
> > data packet, the gadget driver needs to return USB_GADGET_DELAYED_STATUS
> > to prepare a 0-length request. For SET_CONFIGURATION, we don't expect
> > a data phase, why should the gadget driver queue a 0-length data?
>
> The USB-2 spec prohibits 3-stage control requests with wLength == 0 (see
> sections 9.3.1 and 9.3.5). Therefore the host's intent can never be to
> send a 3-stage control request with a 0-length Data-stage packet.

Right. Forgot about that, but my point was about the sequential flow of
the control transfer.

> > > I suspect this issue has not been observed with other gadget drivers,
> > > as they queue an URB immediately after receiving a ->setup() call:
> > > dwc3 appears to somehow correctly handle this internally even though
> > > it acks the transfer by itself. But the timings with Raw Gadget are
> > > different, as it requires userspace to ack the transfer. Sometimes
> > > though, the Raw Gadget-based emulator also manages to queue an URB
> > > before the next request is received from the host and the enumeration
> > > continues properly (until the next request with wLength == 0).
> > >
> > > What do you think would be the best approach to deal with this?
> >
> > The communication should be clearly defined. That is, the dwc3 needs to
> > know if this is a 3-stage or 2-stage control transfer. It knows about
> > the standard requests, but not the vendor/non-standard ones. If the raw
> > gadget defined some unknown OUT request, it needs to tell dwc3 whether
> > it should expect the data stage or not.
>
> The communication _is_ clearly defined. Here's how it works:
>
> For control transfers that aren't handled directly by the UDC, the UDC
> driver invokes the ->setup() callback and waits for the gadget driver to
> queue a request. If the SETUP packet's wLength value is > 0 then the
> gadget driver queues an IN or OUT request (depending on the transfer's
> direction) and the UDC waits for the host to transfer the Data stage
> packets, completing the request. After this happens, the UDC driver
> automatically queues an internal 0-length request in the opposite
> direction for the Status stage. Data-stage transfers are not allowed to
> span more than one usb_request.

I was talking in context of 0-length transfer (albeit I forgot about the
special case of control OUT doesn't have 3-stage).

If it's a vendor request 0-length transfer, without responding with
USB_GADGET_DELAYED_STATUS, the dwc3 will proceed with preparing the
status stage.

> (IMO that automatic action is a design flaw; the UDC driver should wait
> for the gadget driver to explictly queue a 0-length request or a STALL
> instead of doing it automatically.)

Would every UDC has this capability? I recalled some aren't capable of
delayed_status.

> But if the SETUP packet's wLength value is 0 then when the gadget driver
> is ready, it queues a 0-length IN request which will act as the Status
> stage. In this situation the UDC does not automatically create a
> Status-stage request.
>
> Note that the gadget driver is allowed to queue its various requests
> either while the ->setup() callback is running or after it has returned.
>
> (Another design flaw is that this design doesn't specify what should
> happen if the UDC receives another SETUP packet from the host before the
> Status stage completes. By sending another SETUP packet, the host is
> indicating that the earlier control transfer has been aborted.
> Presumably the UDC driver will complete all the outstanding requests
> with an error status, but there's a potential race in the gadget driver
> between queuing a request for the first transfer and executing the
> ->setup() callback for the second transfer.)

If there's another SETUP packet coming while there's a pending control
transfer, for dwc3 UDC, the pending control TRB should be completed with
a Setup_pending status indicating aborted control transfer for dwc3
driver to handle that.

> If the dwc3 UDC driver doesn't behave this way then it needs to be
> fixed.

BR,
Thinh