Re: [GIT PULL] one more nfsd fix for 6.5-rc

From: Chuck Lever III
Date: Thu Aug 17 2023 - 10:55:56 EST

> On Aug 17, 2023, at 10:49 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 at 16:11, Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cel/linux.git tags/nfsd-6.5-4
>
> I've pulled this, but...
>
>> Jeff Layton (1):
>> sunrpc: set the bv_offset of first bvec in svc_tcp_sendmsg
>
> .. what an odd place to set bv_offset that is.
>
> I'm sure it's right, but it really smells odd to set that initial
> offset not when the bvec is created, but long afterwards, just before
> it is used.
>
> Is there some reason why 'bv_offset' isn't initialized when the bvec is created?

Yes:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nfs/7c9421cc4b92dee76cc7560c50a4a0ab3fb1ef0d.camel@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#t

But also note that this fix will get replaced in v6.6:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cel/linux.git/commit/?h=nfsd-next&id=383bc8bbc3e61d185ff8082cad2da831f158be4a

I just wanted to ensure that v6.5 wasn't broken. It's a little late in the
cycle to apply 383bc8bbc.

If you feel it's appropriate, perhaps you could add a link to the above
lore discussion to the fix... but as the fix is temporary, perhaps not
worth the bother.

--
Chuck Lever