Re: [RFC] Proposal to relax warnings of htmldocs

From: Carlos Bilbao
Date: Wed Aug 16 2023 - 11:22:14 EST

On 8/16/23 10:15, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 10:12:56AM -0500, Carlos Bilbao wrote:
On 8/16/23 06:01, Jani Nikula wrote:
What I'd hope for is build system support to enable W=1
compiler/kernel-doc warnings for a subdir with a few lines at most,
instead of duplicating and copy-pasting tens of lines from
scripts/Makefile.extrawarn like we have to do now.

That sounds feasible but, well, I actually proposed the opposite approach.
I wanted to "relax" the warnings (see RFC Subject) rather than making them
more strict by default.

My concern is that W=1 (by default) may theoretically result in a clean
`make htmldocs` but it won't in practice. Not all developers prioritize
good documentation like the folks from i915, and that may lead to
unaddressed warnings or worst, less interest in documenting the code. Isn't
it the case that some of these higher-control warnings don't really have
much effect in real life? And shoukd W=1 become the default, are we going
to be able to enforce that level of control?

I wasn't proposing making W=1 builds the default; I was proposing
running kernel-doc -none at all levels.

More strict warning level, right? My concern is the same.

Thanks,
Carlos