Re: [RFC] Proposal to relax warnings of htmldocs

From: Carlos Bilbao
Date: Tue Aug 15 2023 - 14:51:02 EST

On 8/15/23 13:41, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 08:35:40PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 8:23 PM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

As an alternative, of course, we could consider turning off those
specific warnings entirely for normal builds.

It could be nice to get to enforce warning-free builds as soon as possible.

Perhaps we could move those to a `W=1`-like group and clean them over
time instead? Or do we have that already?

I think the problem is that we don't run kernel-doc by default. Instead,
it's only run for W=1 (and higher) builds. That's why Carlos doesn't
see the problems he is introducing in his own builds. Of course, if
AMD required building with W=1 then they'd see these problems earlier
in their own testing. Apparently they don't.

AMD's testing practices or standards are orthogonal to this discussion. My
contributions to the Documentation effort are entirely voluntary and
independent of my role at AMD.

Is it time to just run kernel-doc by default? There aren't _that_
many kernel-doc warnings now. Not compared to how they used to be.
And enabling them for everyone means that new ones won't sneak in.
I haven't timed how much extra time kernel-doc adds to a build.
Perhaps that's infeasible.

Thanks,
Carlos