Re: [GIT PULL] nolibc changes for 6.6-rc1

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Tue Aug 15 2023 - 10:26:33 EST

On 8/6/23 11:22, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Hi Shuah, hi Paul,

I'm sending you the list of planned nolibc changes for 6.6. A doc update
may possibly follow a bit later to try to document the contribution
process. We also noticed a slight increase in binary sizes that might
be fixed soon but I wouldn't bet on this since it will require lot of
testing again and I'd rather postpone this by default. In any case I
have no intent to push any significant updates/fixes for 6.6 at this
point.

I'm also pasting a summary of the changes in this pull request, feel
free to use it for the merge commit message if you need.

For any question or if anything is not clear, do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
Willy

----- changes ------
Nolibc:
- improved portability by removing build errors with -ENOSYS
- added syscall6() on MIPS to support pselect6() and mmap()
- added setvbuf(), rmdir(), pipe(), pipe2()
- add support for ppc/ppc64
- environ is no longer optional
- fixed frame pointer issues at -O0
- dropped sys_stat() in favor of sys_statx()
- centralized _start_c() to remove lots of asm code
- switched size_t to __SIZE_TYPE__

Selftests:
- improved status reporting (success/warning/failure counts, path to log file)
- various code cleanups (indent, unused variables, ...)
- more consistent test numbering
- enabled compiler warnings
- dropped unreliable chmod_net test
- improved reliability (create /dev/zero & /tmp, rely less on /proc)
- new tests (brk/sbrk/mmap/munmap)
- improved compatibility with musl
- new run-nolibc-test target to build and run natively
- new run-libc-test target to build and run against native libc
- made the cmdline parser more reliable against boolean arguments
- dropped dependency on memfd for vfprintf() test
- nolibc-test is no longer stripped
- added support for extending ARCH via XARCH

Other:
- add Thomas as co-maintainer
-----------

The following changes since commit 06c2afb862f9da8dc5efa4b6076a0e48c3fbaaa5:

Linux 6.5-rc1 (2023-07-09 13:53:13 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/nolibc.git/ 20230806-for-6.6-1

for you to fetch changes up to d98c1e27e46e47a3ae67e1d048f153598ba82611:

tools/nolibc: stackprotector.h: make __stack_chk_init static (2023-08-06 18:44:47 +0200)

Hi Willy,

I am sorry for the delay on this. I was traveling last week
and getting back to digging myself out of emails.

I am having trouble pulling this request though:

git request-pull https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/nolibc.git/ 20230806-for-6.6-1

gives me the following error

fatal: Not a valid revision: git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/nolibc.git/

I don't see a tag at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wtarreau/nolibc.git

thanks,
-- Shuah