Re: SSD SATA 3.3 and Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS

From: deloptes
Date: Tue Aug 15 2023 - 05:46:03 EST

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> I don't know why that would be.  Are there any hints in the dmesg log?
> Can you collect the complete dmesg log with the old drives and again
> with the new SSDs so we can compare them?  I assume you have good
> cables?  I assume the same cables worked at 3.0 Gb/s with the old
> drives.
>
> I would *expect* that SATA r3.3 would be completely backwards
> compatible, so since mptsas worked just fine at 3.0 Gb/s with the old
> SATA r3.0 drives, it should also work just fine at 3.0 Gb/s with the
> new SATA r3.3 drives.  But I have no actual knowledge about that.

Thank you for your answer. I am also confused and couldn't think of any
meaningful reason. This is why I allowed myself to bother you.

I did not change anything - wiring or such. The server has 12 disk bays on
the front. Old disks were pulled out and new disks were inserted into the
bays.

You (probably much knowable in this matters than me) also assume negotiation
should result in 3.0Gb/s. And if I understand correctly it should be not a
driver issue.

The only difference I could find out for now is that Rev3.3 introduced PWDIS
on Pin 3. To check if the cables provide wiring on P3 I should disassemble
the server, but I can do this in September :/ and it is a lot of effort.

I am attaching a portion of the log and dmesg with the relevant information.
I see that ASPM is disabled by default (could it be related to P3?).

Thank you all in advance
BR

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0