Failing network hardware

From: Leslie Rhorer
Date: Sun Aug 13 2023 - 14:54:11 EST

Hello all,

About a year or so ago, I upgraded one of my Debian servers to Bullseye, and it killed the 10G NIC on the server due to issues with the device driver in the Debian repository (it was missing). I jumped through all sorts of loops and hoops to try to get it working, but I finally had to give up and resort to using the 1G interface. Recently, I tried a new install on a different server to the new Debian Bookworm, and it worked for that server, so apparently the issue has been fixed in Bookworm. I reported a bug against the Buster distribution, but it was never fixed.

With that in mind, I went ahead and upgraded the original server to Bookworm, but the NIC remains dead. Unfortunately, I cannot find my notes on what I did originally to try to get the 10G interface working and to shut it down in favor of a built-in port. I do recall I tried compiling what was supposed to be the correct firmware driver and also changing the udev rules, but I do not recall the exact details. I have tried several things, including re-installing the firmware, but nothing seems to work. The Ethernet interface does not appear on the system in order to be able to specify it in /etc/network/interfaces. What can I do in order to try to get the 10G card working?

The card is an Asus MCB-10G_PEB-10G NIC and uses the bnx2x.ko driver. The system uses an Asus AMD-64 motherboard. The bnx2x.ko driver is installed, and lspci shows the card in the system, but ifconfig does not see the interface.

root@RAID-Server:~# lspci | grep Broadcom
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme II BCM57811 10-Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)