Re: Expensive memory.stat + cpu.stat reads

From: Yosry Ahmed
Date: Fri Aug 11 2023 - 20:15:55 EST

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 4:43 PM Yosry Ahmed <yosryahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 3:03 PM Ivan Babrou <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Since cgroup_rstat_flush_locked appears in flamegraphs for both fast
> > > (discrete) and slow (combined) cases, I grabbed some stats for it:
> > >
> > > * Slow:
> > >
> > > completed: 19.43s [manual / mem-stat + cpu-stat]
> > >
> > > $ sudo /usr/share/bcc/tools/funclatency -uT cgroup_rstat_flush_locked
> > > Tracing 1 functions for "cgroup_rstat_flush_locked"... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
> > > ^C
> > > 00:12:55
> > > usecs : count distribution
> > > 0 -> 1 : 0 | |
> > > 2 -> 3 : 0 | |
> > > 4 -> 7 : 0 | |
> > > 8 -> 15 : 0 | |
> > > 16 -> 31 : 0 | |
> > > 32 -> 63 : 0 | |
> > > 64 -> 127 : 1 | |
> > > 128 -> 255 : 191 |************ |
> > > 256 -> 511 : 590 |****************************************|
> > > 512 -> 1023 : 186 |************ |
> > > 1024 -> 2047 : 2 | |
> > > 2048 -> 4095 : 0 | |
> > > 4096 -> 8191 : 0 | |
> > > 8192 -> 16383 : 504 |********************************** |
> > > 16384 -> 32767 : 514 |********************************** |
> > > 32768 -> 65535 : 3 | |
> > > 65536 -> 131071 : 1 | |
> > >
> > > avg = 8852 usecs, total: 17633268 usecs, count: 1992
> > >
> > > * Fast:
> > >
> > > completed: 0.95s [manual / mem-stat]
> > > completed: 0.05s [manual / cpu-stat]
> > >
> > > $ sudo /usr/share/bcc/tools/funclatency -uT cgroup_rstat_flush_locked
> > > Tracing 1 functions for "cgroup_rstat_flush_locked"... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
> > > ^C
> > > 00:13:27
> > > usecs : count distribution
> > > 0 -> 1 : 0 | |
> > > 2 -> 3 : 0 | |
> > > 4 -> 7 : 499 |****************************************|
> > > 8 -> 15 : 253 |******************** |
> > > 16 -> 31 : 191 |*************** |
> > > 32 -> 63 : 41 |*** |
> > > 64 -> 127 : 12 | |
> > > 128 -> 255 : 2 | |
> > > 256 -> 511 : 2 | |
> > > 512 -> 1023 : 0 | |
> > > 1024 -> 2047 : 0 | |
> > > 2048 -> 4095 : 0 | |
> > > 4096 -> 8191 : 0 | |
> > > 8192 -> 16383 : 34 |** |
> > > 16384 -> 32767 : 21 |* |
> > >
> > > avg = 857 usecs, total: 904762 usecs, count: 1055
> > >
> > > There's a different number of calls into cgroup_rstat_flush_locked and
> > > they are much slower in the slow case. There are also two bands in the
> > > slow case, with 8ms..32ms having the half of the calls.
> > >
> > > For mem_cgroup_css_rstat_flush:
> > >
> > > * Slow:
> > >
> > > completed: 32.77s [manual / mem-stat + cpu-stat]
> > >
> > > $ sudo /usr/share/bcc/tools/funclatency -uT mem_cgroup_css_rstat_flush
> > > Tracing 1 functions for "mem_cgroup_css_rstat_flush"... Hit Ctrl-C to end.
> > > ^C
> > > 00:21:25
> > > usecs : count distribution
> > > 0 -> 1 : 93078 |* |
> [...]

+Tejun Heo

There have been a lot of problems coming from this global rstat lock:
hard lockups (when we used to flush atomically), unified flushing
being expensive, skipping flushing being inaccurate, etc.

I wonder if it's time to rethink this lock and break it down into
granular locks. Perhaps a per-cgroup lock, and develop a locking
scheme where you always lock a parent then a child, then flush the
child and unlock it and move to the next child, etc. This will allow
concurrent flushing of non-root cgroups. Even when flushing the root,
if we flush all its children first without locking the root, then only
lock the root when flushing the top-level children, then some level of
concurrency can be achieved.

Maybe this is too complicated, I never tried to implement it, but I
have been bouncing around this idea in my head for a while now.

We can also split the update tree per controller. As far as I can tell
there is no reason to flush cpu stats for example when someone wants
to read memory stats.