Re: [patch 29/30] x86/microcode: Prepare for minimal revision check

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri Aug 11 2023 - 10:20:09 EST

From: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Applying microcode late can be fatal for the running kernel when the update
changes functionality which is in use already in a non-compatible way,
e.g. by removing a CPUID bit.

This includes all compatibility constraints? Because IIRC we've also had
trouble because a CPUID bit got set. Kernel didn't know about, didn't

do you have the details on that -- I don't know of any of those outside
of enumerating the sidechannel status cpuid bits.

manage it, but userspace saw the bit and happily tried to use it.

yes it contains all the compatibility constraints the OS folks (e.g. the intel kernel folks)
could convey to the microcode team. If you think the constraints are
not complete please help us improve them

Ofc I can't remember the exact case :/ but anything that changes the
xsave size/state would obviously cause trouble.

of course that cant' happen at runtime at all correctly.