Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Aug 11 2023 - 01:20:46 EST

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 at 21:03, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 04:47:22PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So I might be barking up entirely the wrong tree.
>
> Yeah, I think you are, it sounds like you're describing an entirely
> different sort of race.

I was just going by Darrick's description of what he saw, which
*seemed* to be that umount had finished with stuff still active:

"Here, umount exits before the filesystem is really torn down, and then
mount fails because it can't get an exclusive lock on the device."

But maybe I misunderstood, and the umount wasn't actually successful
(ie "exits" may have been "failed with EBUSY")?

So I was trying to figure out what could cause the behavior I thought
Darrick was describing, which would imply a mnt_count issue.

If it's purely "umount doesnt' succeed because the filesystem is still
busy with cleanups", then things are much better.

The mnt_count is nasty, if it's not that, we're actually much better
off, and I'll be very happy to have misunderstood Darrick's case.

Linus