Re: Drop 0fc6fea41c71 ("drm/i915: Disable DC states for all commits") from the 6.0.y series?

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Thu Aug 10 2023 - 07:31:11 EST

On 09.08.23 11:15, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 12:52:03PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Hi Greg! Months ago you picked up mainline commit a2b6e99d8a6
>> ("drm/i915: Disable DC states for all commits") for the 6.1.23 release
>> as commit 0fc6fea41c71. It causes issues vor a few people (at least
>> three, two of which are CCed) -- apparently because it depends on some
>> change that wasn't picked up for 6.1.y.

Fun fact: here I had an off-by-one error I noticed and fixed, but...

>> This is known for a while now,
>> but nobody has yet found which change that is (Al found something that
>> worked for him, but that didn't work for others). For the whole story
>> skim this ticket:
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/8419
>>
>> I wonder if it might be better if you revert that commit for 6.0.y; I
>> asked already in the ticket if this is likely to cause regressions for
>> users of 6.0.y,

...here I did not. :-/ Sorry.

>> but got no answer from the i915 devs (or did I miss
>> something?). :-/
>
> Now reverted (note, 6.0.y is long dead, I reverted this for 6.1.y)

Thx, but FWIW, seems my timing was bad. I had waited weeks before
escalating this to you (which looking back now is something I maybe
should have done earlier -- but first it looked like it was just one
person/machine affected by this problem). But it seems soon after I
brought this to your attention a solution came up, as a fix was posted
and confirmed working by one of the reporters -- and the developer wants
to post a backport for stable. For details see
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/8419#note_2035731

Not sure what's the right thing to do at this point for 6.1.y --
dropping the revert maybe before you do the release? You will know best
anyway.

> greg "drowning in kernel release numbers" k-h

Glad I'm not the only one. ;) But I guess it's worse for you...

Ciao, Thorsten