new_inode_pseudo vs locked inode->i_state = 0

From: Mateusz Guzik
Date: Tue Aug 08 2023 - 13:14:11 EST

Hello,

new_inode_pseudo is:
struct inode *inode = alloc_inode(sb);

if (inode) {
spin_lock(&inode->i_lock);
inode->i_state = 0;
spin_unlock(&inode->i_lock);
}

I'm trying to understand:
1. why is it zeroing i_state (as opposed to have it happen in inode_init_always)
2. why is zeroing taking place with i_lock held

The inode is freshly allocated, not yet added to the hash -- I would
expect that nobody else can see it.

Moreover, another consumer of alloc_inode zeroes without bothering to
lock -- see iget5_locked:
[snip]
struct inode *new = alloc_inode(sb);

if (new) {
new->i_state = 0;
[/snip]

I tried to find justification for it in git, the pre-history-wipe repo
(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git)
says it came in "Import 2.1.45pre1" in 1997. This is where my digging
stopped.

As is, I strongly suspect this is a leftover waiting for clean up.
Moving i_state = 0 back to inode_init_always would result in a few
simplifications in the area. I'm happy to make them, provided this is
indeed safe.

If the lock is required, then it should be added to iget5_locked?

UNRELATED:

While here, new_inode starts with: spin_lock_prefetch(&sb->s_inode_list_lock)

This was also *way* back in a huge commit, since the line was only
getting patched to remain compilable.

This is the only remaining spin_lock_prefetch use in the tree.

I don't know the original justification nor whether it made sense at
the time, this is definitely problematic today in the rather heavy
multicore era -- there is tons of work happening between the prefetch
and actually take the s_inode_list_lock lock, meaning if there is
contention, the cacheline is going to be marked invalid by the time
spin_lock on it is called. But then this only adds to cacheline
bouncing.

Personally I would just remove this line without even trying to benchmark.
--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>