Re: Fwd: ath11k: QCN9074: ce desc not available for wmi command

From: Manikanta Pubbisetty
Date: Tue Jul 25 2023 - 05:18:24 EST

On 6/26/2023 6:19 PM, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
Hi, Thorsten here, the Linux kernel's regression tracker. Top-posting
for once, to make this easily accessible to everyone.

Hmmm, there afaics was no real progress and not even a single reply from
a developer (neither here or in bugzilla) since the issue was reported
~10 days ago. :-/

Manikanta, did you maybe just miss that this is caused by change of
yours (and thus is something you should look into)?

Extremely sorry for having this missed due to incorrect mail filters on my machine. I have looked the logs attached to the buganizer.

The issue from the logs looks like it is happening during the boot.
Generally, issues like these "ce desc not available for wmi command" occur when there is no room in the copy engine pipe for driver to enqueue the command to the firmware and in many cases these would have happen when firmware is reaping the ring slowly.

It is puzzling to know that thread NAPI is causing this and reverting this got the issue fixed. NAPI generally acts on the RX rings and has nothing to do with the TX.

Hi Sanjay,

This issue is seen just with the kernel upgrade alone? Or firmware has also been upgraded?

Meanwhile, I'll try to repro the issue on my local setup and try to root cause the problem. Pls let me know the firmware version that has been used for testing.

Although I'm okay reverting the threaded NAPI patch for now, in the long run we want that back as threaded NAPI brings significant improvement on the throughput front.

Thanks,
Manikanta