[ANNOUNCE / CFP] KVM Microconference at LPC 2023

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Mon Jul 24 2023 - 15:37:45 EST

We are excited to announce the first KVM MC at Plumbers 2023!

The KVM microconference will focus on KVM itself, as well as KVM's touchpoints
with other kernel subsystems. The purpose of the KVM MC is to supplement KVM
Forum by providing developers with a dedicated vehicle for discussing kernel
internals. Topics that are primarily aimed at something other than KVM are
firmly out of scope and will be rejected. Please consider the Confidential
Computing MC, the VFIO/IOMMU/PCI MC, or KVM Forum 2024 for virtualization topics
that aren't directly related to KVM internals.

The KVM MC will be comprised of ~3 "big" topics, and ~6 (+/-2) "small" topics.
Big topics will be allotted 30-40 minutes, and small topics 10-20 minutes.
Please add a note in your submission if you would like your topic to be
considered for a big slot (consider it a hint to help us rough in the scedule).

Below is a list of *ideas* for topics. Topics that are not on the list are more
than welcome! If we were omniscient, we wouldn't need this CFP!

Note, priority will be given to open problems, i.e. things that have already
been posted/discussed on LKML, but posting before LPC is NOT a hard requirement.

Potential Topics:
- Serving inaccessible/unmappable memory for KVM guests (a.k.a. guest_memfd)
- Optimizing mmu_notifiers, e.g. reducing TLB flushes and spurious zapping
- Supporting multiple KVM modules (for non-disruptive upgrades)
- Improving and hardening KVM+perf interactions
- Implementing arch-agnostic abstractions in KVM (e.g. MMU)
- Defining KVM requirements for hardware vendors
- Utilizing "fault" injection to increase test coverage of edge cases
- KVM vs VFIO (e.g. memory types, a rather hot topic on the ARM side)

Abstracts can be submitted via https://lpc.events/event/17/abstracts. Don't
forget to select "KVM MC" as the track!

Thanks!