Re: collision between ZONE_MOVABLE and memblock allocations

From: Ross Zwisler
Date: Wed Jul 19 2023 - 19:05:47 EST

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 10:14:59AM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 19.07.23 10:06, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > The current initialization order is roughly
> > >
> > > * very early initialization with some memblock allocations
> > > * determine zone locations and sizes
> > > * initialize memory map
> > > - memblock_alloc(lots of memory)
> > > * lots of unrelated initializations that may allocate memory
> > > * release free pages from memblock to the buddy allocator
> > >
> > > With 2) we can make sure the memory map and early allocations won't be in
> > > the ZONE_MOVABLE, but we'll still may have reserved pages there.
> >
> > Yes this will always be fragile. If the spefic placement of the movable
> > memory is not important and the only thing that matters is the size and
> > numa locality then an easier to maintain solution would be to simply
> > offline enough memory blocks very early in the userspace bring up and
> > online it back as movable. If offlining fails just try another
> > memblock. This doesn't require any kernel code change.
>
> As an alternative, we might use the "memmap=nn[KMG]!ss[KMG]" [1] parameter
> to mark some memory as protected.
>
> That memory can then be configured as devdax device and online to
> ZONE_MOVABLE (dev/dax).
>
> [1] https://docs.pmem.io/persistent-memory/getting-started-guide/creating-development-environments/linux-environments/linux-memmap

I've previously been reconfiguring devdax memory like this:

ndctl create-namespace --reconfig=namespace0.0 -m devdax -f
daxctl reconfigure-device --mode=system-ram dax0.0

Is this how you've been doing it, or is there something else I should
consider?

I just sent mail to Michal outlining my use case, hopefully it makes sense.

I had thought about using 'memmap=' in the first kernel and the worry was that
I'd have to support many different machines with different memory
configurations, and have to hard-code memory offsets and lengths for the
various memmap= kernel command line parameters. If I can make ZONE_MOVABLE
work that's preferable because the kernel will choose the correct usermem-only
region for me, and then I can just use that region for the crash kernel and
3rd kernel boots.