Re: [RFC 2/2] mm: alloc/free depth based PCP high auto-tuning

From: Huang, Ying
Date: Wed Jul 19 2023 - 02:01:32 EST

Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 08:55:16AM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
>> Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Implement as a separate patch. I suspect this type of heuristic will be
>> > very benchmark specific and the complexity may not be worth it in the
>> > general case.
>>
>> OK.

>> > This would be a case where you're relying on vmstat to drain the PCP after
>> > a period of time as it is a corner case.
>>
>> Yes. The remaining question is how long should "a period of time" be?
>
> Match the time used for draining "remote" pages from the PCP lists. The
> choice is arbitrary and no matter what value is chosen, it'll be possible
> to build an adverse workload.

OK.

>> If it's long, the pages in PCP can be used for allocation after some
>> time. If it's short the pages can be put in buddy, so can be used by
>> other workloads if needed.
>>

> Assume that the main reason to expire pages and put them back on the buddy
> list is to avoid premature allocation failures due to pages pinned on the
> PCP. Once pages are going back onto the buddy list and the expiry is hit,
> it might as well be assumed that the pages are cache-cold. Some bad corner
> cases should be mitigated by disabling the adapative sizing when reclaim is
> active.

Yes. This can be mitigated, but the page allocation performance may be
hurt.

> The big remaaining corner case to watch out for is where the sum
> of the boosted pcp->high exceeds the low watermark. If that should ever
> happen then potentially a premature OOM happens because the watermarks
> are fine so no reclaim is active but no pages are available. It may even
> be the case that the sum of pcp->high should not exceed *min* as that
> corner case means that processes may prematurely enter direct reclaim
> (not as bad as OOM but still bad).

Sorry, I don't understand this. When pages are moved from buddy to PCP,
zone NR_FREE_PAGES will be decreased in rmqueue_bulk(). That is, pages
in PCP will be counted as used instead of free. And, in
zone_watermark_ok*() and zone_watermark_fast(), zone NR_FREE_PAGES is
used to check watermark. So, if my understanding were correct, if the
number of pages in PCP is larger than low/min watermark, we can still
trigger reclaim. Whether is my understanding correct?

>> Anyway, I will do some experiment for that.
>>
>> > You cannot reasonably detect the pattern on two separate per-cpu lists
>> > without either inspecting remote CPU state or maintaining global
>> > state. Either would incur cache miss penalties that probably cost more
>> > than the heuristic saves.
>>
>> Yes. Totally agree.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying