Re: [GIT PULL] objtool/urgent for v6.5-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 18 2023 - 11:41:56 EST

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 at 04:02, Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you are willing to add another helper function that also takes the
> label argument, you could do something like this:

Ugh. That's a bit uglier than I was hoping for.

I was hoping more like "use this special attribute to mark this asm as
being something that cannot be moved across function boundaries".

Now a "we have to make up horrible games and pass in labels that are
not used and use a completely different API".

Oh well.

I guess in the end we can just continue to work around this.

After all, in many ways this isn't about the code - the AC setting and
clearing is fine - it's about objtool not doing the analysis across
function boundaries.

I guess we could have just marked these iovec copy functions
"always_inline" too, and avoided it that way.

Linus