Re: next: kernel BUG at fs/ext4/mballoc.c:4369!

From: Naresh Kamboju
Date: Tue Jul 18 2023 - 07:48:23 EST

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 at 03:04, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:04:54PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> >
> > These can basically trigger in extremely low memory space and only when
> > such ranges exist in the PA rbtree. Hence, I guess it is a little hard
> > to tigger race.
>
> Ritesh, thanks for looking into this!
>
> Naresh, how easy is it for you to trigger the BUG when using LTP? I
> did two xfstests runs using "gce-xfstests -c ext2/default -g auto",
> one on the ext4 dev branch, and one on linux-next 20230717, and I
> wasn't able to trigger the BUG.
>
> If you can trivially trigger it using LTP (perhaps with a low memory
> configuration in your test setup?), that would be useful to know.

In our setup it is not easy to reproduce with the same device and
same build on x86_4 and arm64 juno-r2 connected with SSD drive
and running LTP fs testing.

LTP fs_fill is triggering several ENOSPC before getting this reported
kernel BUG at fs/ext4/mballoc.c:4369!

The reported issues are not noticed on latest Linux next tags.

- Naresh