Re: [v6 2/4] dt-bindings: hwmon: Add ASPEED TACH Control documentation

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Tue Jul 18 2023 - 02:04:38 EST

On 18/07/2023 06:01, 蔡承達 wrote:

>> On 17/07/2023 11:01, 蔡承達 wrote:
>>> Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 於 2023年7月17日 週一 上午1:00寫道:

>>> Hi Guenter,
>>>
>>> May I ask about the meaning of the sequence of address mappings? It appears
>>> to consist of multiple tuples within the 'reg' property, indicating
>>> the usage of PWM/Tach
>>> registers within a single instance. After that I can use the dts like following:
>>>
>>> pwm: pwm@1e610000 {
>>> reg = <0x1e610000 0x8
>>> 0x1e610010 0x8
>>> 0x1e610020 0x8
>>> 0x1e610030 0x8
>>> 0x1e610040 0x8
>>> 0x1e610050 0x8
>>> 0x1e610060 0x8
>>> 0x1e610070 0x8
>>> 0x1e610080 0x8
>>> 0x1e610090 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100A0 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100B0 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100C0 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100D0 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100E0 0x8
>>> 0x1e6100F0 0x8>;
>>

>> Uh, no... I mean, why? We keep pointing out that this should not be done
>> differently than any other SoC. Open any other SoC PWM controller and
>> tell me why this is different? Why this cannot be one address space?
>
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> This is because the register layout for PWM and Tach is not continuous.
> Each PWM/Tach instance has its own set of controller registers, and they
> are independent of each other.

Register layout is not continuous in many other devices, so again - why
this must be different?

> For example:
> PWM0 uses registers 0x0 and 0x4, while Tach0 uses registers 0x8 and 0xc.
> PWM1 uses registers 0x10 and 0x14, while Tach1 uses registers 0x18 and 0x1c.
>
> To separate the PWM controller part from the fan inputs, Guenter has
> provided two methods.
> The first method involves passing the memory region from an MFD
> driver, which was the

I have no clue how can you pass memory region
(Documentation/devicetree/bindings/reserved-memory/) from MFD and why
does it make sense here.

> initial method I intended to use. However, it seems that this method
> does not make sense to you.
>
> Therefore, I would like to explore the second method suggested by
> Guenter, which involves providing
> a sequence of address mappings.

Best regards,
Krzysztof