Re: [v6 2/4] dt-bindings: hwmon: Add ASPEED TACH Control documentation

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Sun Jul 16 2023 - 12:08:38 EST

On 14/07/2023 13:17, 蔡承達 wrote:
> Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 於 2023年7月14日 週五 下午6:26寫道:
>>
>> On 7/14/23 03:18, 蔡承達 wrote:
>>> Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 於 2023年7月14日 週五 下午5:59寫道:

>>> Hi Krzysztof and Guenter,
>>>
>>> Apologies for any confusion earlier.
>>> So, you think that the implementation with 16 instances of TACH/PWM
>>> device nodes in dts instead of one is ok to you, right?
>>>

>> Did I say that ? No, it is not ok with me. It is confusing and doesn't make
>> sense to me. This is one fan controller with 16 channels, not 16 separate
>> controllers.
>>

> This patch serial doesn't use to binding the fan control h/w. It is
> used to binding the two independent h/w blocks.
> One is used to provide pwm output and another is used to monitor the
> speed of the input.
> My patch is used to point out that the pwm and the tach is the
> different function and don't need to
> bind together. You can not only combine them as the fan usage but also
> treat them as the individual module for
> use. For example: the pwm can use to be the beeper (pwm-beeper.c), the
> tach can be used to monitor the heart beat signal.

Isn't this exactly the same as in every other SoC? PWMs can be used in
different ways?

Anyway, it is tricky to keep the discussion since you avoid posting
entire DTS. I already said:

"I will start NAKing such patches without DTS user. It's like reviewing
fake code for some unknown solution and trying to get from you piece of
answers one by one, because you do not want to share entire part."

Best regards,
Krzysztof