Re: [6.5.0-rc1] unchecked MSR access error: RDMSR from 0xe2 at rIP: 0xffffffff87090227 (native_read_msr+0x7/0x40) (intel_idle_init_cstates_icpu)

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Jul 14 2023 - 18:02:43 EST

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 02:47:24PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > I still don't know why this needs to be in intel_idle.
>
> we can do a seperate idle driver; it'll still be x86 specific (since
> idle really is arch specific)... and then the umwait parts of this
> will be Intel specific.. as well any future idle methods .. and I'm
> not sure the AMD folks would even want it used .... at which point it
> ends up Intel specific fully and we now have 2 Intel idle drivers. I
> don't see how that makes sense.

intel-idle is huge, the last thing it needs is yet another little driver
hidding inside it.

Creating a new simple and small x86-guest cpuidle driver seems, well,
simpler.

And the whole umwait / mwaitx thing really isn't that hard, this is all
indirect functions anyway. All that thing needs to do is amortize the
VMEXIT cost.