Re: [regression] iwlwifi driver broken on Intel 3165 network card

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Wed Jul 12 2023 - 06:40:16 EST

On Wed, 2023-07-12 at 11:59 +0200, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
Leemhuis) wrote:
> On 10.07.23 17:02, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Mon, 2023-07-10 at 10:32 +0200, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
> > Leemhuis) wrote:
> > > Hi, Thorsten here, the Linux kernel's regression tracker.
> > >
> > > I noticed a regression report in bugzilla.kernel.org. As many (most?)
> > > kernel developers don't keep an eye on it, I decided to forward it by mail.
> > >
> > > Aloka Dixit, apparently it's cause by a change of yours: bd54f3c2907
> > > ("wifi: mac80211: generate EMA beacons in AP mode") [v6.4-rc1]
> > >

> > That bisect result seems unlikely to be correct. Those changes are in
> > "how to get beacons" (in AP mode) which isn't even used in client mode
> > here.
>
> You where right, the second bisect resulted in a different outcome.
> Currently looks like 5fc3f6c90cc ("r8169: consolidate disabling ASPM
> before EPHY access") [v6.4-rc1] is the culprit; this is somewhat odd as
> well, but confirmed partially, as blacklisting r8169 apparently fixes
> the issue.

That indeed is odd as well, but from the log it looks like r8169 is
actually present on the machine, so perhaps this messes with some PCI
bugs configuration badly enough? It looks harmless enough, but who
knows.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

johannes