Re: Fwd: Need NVME QUIRK BOGUS for SAMSUNG MZ1WV480HCGL-000MV (Samsung SM-953 Datacenter SSD)

From: Sagi Grimberg
Date: Tue Jul 11 2023 - 10:40:01 EST

Well, that "They keep pumping out more and more devices with the same
breakage" and the "new device" comment from Pankaj below bear the
question: should we stop trying to play "whack a mole" with all those
quirk entries and handle devices with duplicate ids just like Windows does?

As far as I can tell Windows completely ignores the IDs. Which, looking
back, I'd love to be able to do as well, but they are already used
by udev for the /dev/disk/by-id/ links. Those are usually not used
on desktop systems, as they use the file system labels and UUIDs, but
that doesn't work for non-file system uses.

And all this has been working really well with the good old enterprise
SSDs, it's just that the cheap consumer devices keep fucking it up.

If we'd take it away now we'd break existing users, which puts us between
a rock and a hard place.

Maybe the compromise would be to add a modparam that tells the driver
to ignore it altogether (like allow_bogus_identifiers) that would
default to false. Then people can just workaround the problem instead
of having the back-and-fourth with the vendor?

Module parameters do not work on a per-device basis, sorry. This isn't
the 1990's anymore, please do not attempt to add new ones :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like adding this. But the source of this
is that there are simply too many breakages of non-compliant consumer
drives out there that maybe a compromise would be "globally relax
compliance check in this specific area" as a workaround.

Right now each time this issue is seen in the wild, the only
resolution is either the vendor fixing it, or the driver adds
a quirk, which is positive and exactly what we want. But more
and more users complain, and there is no immediate workaround.