Re: Fwd: Memory corruption in multithreaded user space program while calling fork

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jul 08 2023 - 15:23:15 EST

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 at 12:17, Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you want me to disable per-VMA locks by default as well?

No. I seriously believe that if the per-vma locking is so broken that
it needs to be disabled in a development kernel, we should just admit
failure, and revert it all.

And not in a "revert it for a later attempt" kind of way.

So it would be a "revert it because it added insurmountable problems
that we couldn't figure out" thing that implies *not* trying it again
in that form at all, and much soul-searching before somebody decides
that they have a more maintainable model for it all.

If stable decides that the fixes are not back-portable, and the whole
thing needs to be disabled for stable, that's one thing. But if we
decide that in mainline, it's a "this was a failure" thing.

Linus