Re: [RFC 0/4] arm64/mm: Clean up pte_dirty() state management

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Fri Jul 07 2023 - 08:12:09 EST

On 07.07.23 07:33, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
These pte_dirty() changes make things explicitly clear, while improving the
code readability. This optimizes HW dirty state transfer into SW dirty bit.
This also adds a new arm64 documentation explaining overall pte dirty state
management in detail. This series applies on the latest mainline kernel.

I skimmed over most of the series, and I am not convinced that this is actually a cleanup. If we cannot really always differentiate between sw/hw clearing, why have separate primitives that give one the illusion that it could be done and that they are two different concepts?

Maybe there are other opinions, but at least for me this made the code harder to grasp.

I do appreciate a doc update, though :)

--
Cheers,

David / dhildenb