Re: [BUG] trigger BUG_ON in mas_store_prealloc when low memory

From: Liam R. Howlett
Date: Thu Jul 06 2023 - 14:55:00 EST

Apologies for the late response.

* John Hsu (許永翰) <John.Hsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [230616 05:19]:
> On Wed, 2023-06-14 at 11:58 -0400, Liam R. Howlett wrote:
> >
> > External email : Please do not click links or open attachments until
> > you have verified the sender or the content.
> > * John Hsu (許永翰) <John.Hsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [230614 03:06]:
> > > Hi Liam, thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Sorry, your email response with top posting is hard to follow so I
> > will
> > do my best to answer your questions.
>
> Sorry for the wrong format....
>

> > > version 6.1 or 6.1.x? Which exact version (git id or version
> > number)
> > >
> > > Our environment is kernel-6.1.25-mainline-android14-5-
> > gdea04bf2c398d.
> >
> > Okay, I can have a look at 6.1.25 then.
>
> OK, thanks.
>

> > > This BUG_ON() is necessary since this function should _never_ run
> > out of
> > >
> > > memory; this function does not return an error code.
> > mas_preallocate()
> > >
> > > should have gotten you the memory necessary (or returned an
> > -ENOMEM)
> > >
> > > prior to the call to mas_store_prealloc(), so this is probably an
> > >
> > > internal tree problem.
> > >
> > > There is a tree operation being performed here. mprotect is
> > merging a
> > >
> > > vma by the looks of the call stack. Why do you think no tree
> > operation
> > >
> > > is necessary?
> > >
> > > As you mentioned, mas_preallocate() should allocate enough node,
> > but there is such functions mas_node_count() in mas_store_prealloc().
> > > In mas_node_count() checks whether the *mas* has enough nodes, and
> > allocate memory for node if there was no enough nodes in mas.
> >
> > Right, we call mas_node_count() so that both code paths are used for
> > preallocations and regular mas_store()/mas_store_gfp(). It shouldn't
> > take a significant amount of time to verify there is enough nodes.
>
> Yap..., it didn't take a significant amount of time to verify whether
> there is enough nodes. The problem is why the flow in mas_node_count
> will alloc nodes if there was no enough nodes in mas?

What I meant is that both methods use the same call path because there
is not a reason to duplicate the path. After mas_preallocate() has
allocated the nodes needed, the call to check if there is enough nodes
will be quick.

> > > I think that if mas_preallocate() allocate enough node, why we
> > check the node count and allocate nodes if there was no enough nodes
> > in mas in mas_node_count()?
> >
> > We check for the above reason.
> >

> OK..., this is one of the root cause of this BUG.

The root cause is that there was not enough memory for a store
operation. Regardless of if we check the allocations in the
mas_store_prealloc() path or not, this would fail. If we remove the
check for nodes within this path, then we would have to BUG_ON() when we
run out of nodes to use or have a null pointer dereference BUG anyways.

> > > We have seen that there may be some maple_tree operations in
> > merge_vma...
> >
> > If merge_vma() does anything, then there was an operation to the
> > maple
> > tree.
> >

> > > Moreover, would maple_tree provides an API for assigning user's gfp
> > flag for allocating node?
> >
> > mas_preallocate() and mas_store_gfp() has gfp flags as an
> > argument. In
> > your call stack, it will be called in __vma_adjust() as such:
> >
> > if (mas_preallocate(&mas, vma, GFP_KERNEL))
> > return -ENOMEM;
> >
> > line 715 in v6.1.25
> >
> > > In rb_tree, we allocate vma_area_struct (rb_node is in this
> > struct.) with GFP_KERNEL, and maple_tree allocate node with
> > GFP_NOWAIT and __GFP_NOWARN.
> >
> > We use GFP_KERNEL as I explained above for the VMA tree.
>
> Got it! But the mas_node_count() always use GFP_NOWAIT and __GFP_NOWARN
> in inserting tree flow. Do you consider the performance of maintaining
> the structure of maple_tree?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'consider the performance of
maintaining the structure of maple_tree'.

> > It also will drop the lock and retry with GFP_KERNEL on failure
> > when not using the external lock. The mmap_lock is configured as an
> > external lock.
> >
> > > Allocation will not wait for reclaiming and compacting when there
> > is no enough available memory.
> > > Is there any concern for this design?
> >
> > This has been addressed above, but let me know if I missed anything
> > here.
> >

> I think that the mas_node_count() has higher rate of triggering
> BUG_ON() when allocating nodes with GFP_NOWAIT and __GFP_NOWARN. If
> mas_node_count() use GFP_KERNEL as mas_preallocate() in the mmap.c, the
> allocation fail rate may be lower than use GFP_NOWAIT.

Which BUG_ON() are you referring to?

If I was to separate the code path for mas_store_prealloc() and
mas_store_gfp(), then a BUG_ON() would still need to exist and still
would have been triggered.. We are in a place in the code where we
should never sleep and we don't have enough memory allocated to do what
was necessary.

Thanks,
Liam