Re: Fwd: 3 more broken Zaurii - SL-5600, A300, C700

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Thu Jul 06 2023 - 07:46:07 EST

On 06.07.23 05:08, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 7/5/23 09:09, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>>
>> I notice a regression report on Bugzilla [1]. Quoting from it:
>>
>>> The following patch broke support of 3 more Zaurus models: SL-5600, A300 and C700
>>>
>>> [16adf5d07987d93675945f3cecf0e33706566005] usbnet: Remove over-broad module alias from zaurus

Side note: I wonder if the time spend on tracking and fighting
regressions from v3.0 would better be spend elsewhere. But whatever,
let's at least try.

>>> dmesg and lsusb output attached.
>>
>> Because the description above was vague, I asked the clarification.
>> The reporter replied:
>>
>>> The problem is that networking to SL-5600 / A300 / C700 devices does not
>>> work. I cannot ping the devices.
>>>
>>> The error is occurring in zaurus.c. dmesg is missing the following line:
>>>
>>> zaurus 2-2:1.0 usb0: register 'zaurus' at usb-0000:00:1d.0-2,
>>> pseudo-MDLM (BLAN) device, 2a:01:39:93:bc:1a
>>>
>>> A patch was created in 2022 to fix the same problem with the SL-6000:
>>>
>>> USB: zaurus: support another broken Zaurus -
>>> [6605cc67ca18b9d583eb96e18a20f5f4e726103c]
>>>
>>> Could you please create another patch for the 3 devices: SL-5600 / A300
>>> / C700?
>>
>> See Bugzilla for the full thread and attached dmesg and lsusb.
>>
>> Dave: The reporter asked to write the quirk for affected devices.
>> Would you like to create it?
>
> Thorsten: Email to the culprit author (Dave) bounced.

He sometimes shows up on Linux kernel lists, but I doubt he cares about
that change after all these years. And I would not blame him at all.
Yes, we have the "no regressions" rule, but contributing a change to the
kernel OTOH should not mean that you are responsible for all regressions
it causes for your whole life. :-)

> What can
> I do in this case? Should I start adding get_maintainer.pl output?

Yeah, that's not much helpful here afaics, as most of those that would
care are CCed already.

I'm CCing Oliver, he sent the fix mentioned above for the SL-6000. Maybe
he cares.

If not I guess this won't be fixed, unless we find somebody else to care
enough to submit a patch.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.