Re: mprotect and hugetlb mappings

From: Mike Kravetz
Date: Wed Jul 05 2023 - 19:56:49 EST

On 07/06/23 00:22, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2023 at 04:08:08PM -0700, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> > I was recently asked about the behavior of mprotect on a hugetlb
> > mapping where addr or addr+len is not hugetlb page size aligned. As
> > one might expect, EINVAL is returned in such cases. However, the man
> > page makes no mention of alignment requirements for hugetlb mappings.
> >
> > I am happy to submit man page updates if people agree this is the correct
> > behavior. We might even want to check alignment earlier in the code
> > path as we fail when trying to split the vma today.
> >
> > An alternative behavior would be to operate on whole hugetlb pages within
> > the range addr - addr+len.
>
> After a careful re-reading of the mprotect() man page, I suggest the
> following behaviour ...
>
> addr must be a multiple of the hpage size. Otherwise -EINVAL.
> len should be rounded up to hpage size.
>
> I wonder how likely this change would be to break userspace code.
> Maybe some test cases.

My concern is that this is the approach I took with huegtlb MADV_DONTNEED,
and this caused problems discussed and eventually modified here:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20221021154546.57df96db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

In the MADV_DONTNEED case we were throwing away data. With mprotect we are
only modifying access to data.
--
Mike Kravetz