Re: Rust for linux build error due to Clang (bindgen) version

From: Yuta Hayama
Date: Wed Jul 05 2023 - 04:06:07 EST

Hi,

Thank you for your response!

On 2023/07/05 3:28, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 11:06 AM Yuta Hayama <hayama@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Does this mean we need something like max-tool-version.sh? But that might be
>> a bit silly... If such "error occurs because the tool is too new" is repeated
>> in the future, I feel that it is necessary to check not only the lower limit of
>> the tool version, but also the upper limit.
>
> `make rustavailable` already warns for "too new" versions for `rustc`
> and `bindgen`.

Yes, I checked this. What I was noticed is that these tools have the same
lower and upper limits for the required version. (so min-tool-version.sh
was sufficient.) Since there is a range between the lower and upper limits
for Clang, I thought that if we are going to do version checking, we need
to extend min-tool-version.sh or something related to it.

> We could add something like that (as error or warning)
> for `libclang` too, but that particular issue goes away with the
> upgrade in place, so (at least for mainline) it is OK.

I understand that at least this issue will be fixed in the near future (v6.6?).
I will wait and see for a while...

Regards,

Yuta Hayama