Re: [QUESTION] Full user space process isolation?

From: Roberto Sassu
Date: Mon Jul 03 2023 - 11:30:00 EST

On Mon, 2023-07-03 at 17:06 +0200, Jann Horn wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 4:45 PM Roberto Sassu
> <roberto.sassu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I wanted to execute some kernel workloads in a fully isolated user
> > space process, started from a binary statically linked with klibc,
> > connected to the kernel only through a pipe.
>
> FWIW, the kernel has some infrastructure for this already, see
> CONFIG_USERMODE_DRIVER and kernel/usermode_driver.c, with a usage
> example in net/bpfilter/.

Thanks, I actually took that code to make a generic UMD management
library, that can be used by all use cases:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel/20230317145240.363908-1-roberto.sassu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

> > I also wanted that, for the root user, tampering with that process is
> > as hard as if the same code runs in kernel space.
>
> I believe that actually making it that hard would probably mean that
> you'd have to ensure that the process doesn't use swap (in other
> words, it would have to run with all memory locked), because root can
> choose where swapped pages are stored. Other than that, if you mark it
> as a kthread so that no ptrace access is allowed, you can probably get
> pretty close. But if you do anything like that, please leave some way
> (like a kernel build config option or such) to enable debugging for
> these processes.

I didn't think about the swapping part... thanks!

Ok to enable debugging with a config option.

> But I'm not convinced that it makes sense to try to draw a security
> boundary between fully-privileged root (with the ability to mount
> things and configure swap and so on) and the kernel - my understanding
> is that some kernel subsystems don't treat root-to-kernel privilege
> escalation issues as security bugs that have to be fixed.

Yes, that is unfortunately true, and in that case the trustworthy UMD
would not make things worse. On the other hand, on systems where that
separation is defined, the advantage would be to run more exploitable
code in user space, leaving the kernel safe.

I'm thinking about all the cases where the code had to be included in
the kernel to run at the same privilege level, but would not use any of
the kernel facilities (e.g. parsers).

If the boundary is extended to user space, some of these components
could be moved away from the kernel, and the functionality would be the
same without decreasing the security.

Or, new features that are too complex can be partially implemented in
kernel space, partially in user space, increasing their chances to be
upstreamed.

Roberto