Re: [GIT PULL] RISC-V Patches for the 6.5 Merge Window, Part 1

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Fri Jun 30 2023 - 16:37:20 EST

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:54:35 PDT (-0700), Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 at 11:47, Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Awesome, thanks. I poke around the git merge resolution stuff, but I'm
never 100% sure so I usually just look at the resulting output files and
then just paste in whatever git says as a heads up ;)

Yup. It's one reason I really prefer to do merges myself - I just have
done *so* many of them over the years (and did them long before git
made them much easier) that I can usually do them in my sleep.

Which obviously doesn't mean I then necessarily always get them right,
but I tend to have a higher success rate just because I'm so used to
them.

That's great with me, I don't do a lot of merge resolving so it's always a bit of a special thing.

Regardless, I like seeing the heads-up for merge conflicts in the pull
requests, if for no other reason than the fact that it sets my
expectations for what I'm going to see.

For example, sometimes it means that I decide I'll just go make a cup
of coffee before tackling the merge at all... Not for something this
trivial, but you get the idea.

OK, I'll just keep doing things this way and hopefully it stays fine ;)

Linus