Re: [GIT PULL] flexible-array transformations for 6.5-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 29 2023 - 20:08:11 EST

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 at 08:59, Gustavo A. R. Silva <gustavoars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please, pull the following patches that transform zero-length and
> one-element arrays into C99 flexible-array members. These patches
> have been baking in linux-next for a while.

This must stop.

Honestly, this is just making things *WORSE*.

That drivers/media/platform/qcom/venus/hfi_cmds.h needs to be
converted all-or-nothing, not this crazy piece-meal conversion effort.

You literally seem to be converting structure definitions that ARE NOT
USED, and then leaving the ones that actually *are* used alone,
because they have uses like

struct hfi_sys_set_resource_pkt {
..
u32 resource_data[1];
};

pkt->hdr.size += sizeof(*res) - sizeof(u32);

where 'res' is a pointer to that packet type.

I'm not at all interested in patches that convert structures that have
zero use. You might as well just *remove* them in that case, rather
than make some syntactic change that doesn't matter.

And yes, that header file already has a mix of '[]' arrays and '[1]'
arrays. I'm not interested in continuing that kind of pointless
conversion.

Either this gets converted properly, or it gets left alone. No more of
this kind of crazy "let's convert the types that are never used".

Linus