Re: [GIT PULL] x86/misc for 6.5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jun 27 2023 - 17:59:17 EST

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 14:44, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But now I'm committed, and decided to fix that too, and just
> re-organize the code to get all the cases right.
>
> And now I'm going to actually boot-test the end result too. Because
> life is too short to spend all my time _just_ with merging.

Well, it boots. And I clearly have networking. But who knows how much
that is actually using the csum_partial() function? Not me. I'm just
along for the ride.

Anyway, that last version handles the 40-byte special case
differently, in that it might have done some arbitrary number of
80-byte chunks first. But it shouldn't really make a difference - it
does check for >= 80- bytes first, but we're talking two extra
instructions.

And that way the end case is always less than 64 bytes, and so the
tests for 32/16/8 work fine.

And now it's committed to my test tree, so I'm not throwing it away,
but I also won't be working on it any more. If somebody wants to time
it using Arjan's little thing, more power to them.

Linus